Solar Panels in Bedfordshire
Harnessing solar power in Bedfordshire
The number of solar panels on residential properties is on the rise. For many homeowners, solar panels have previously been seen as an out of reach item, but new technology is bringing renewable, affordable energy to houses across the country. Not only does this allow homeowners to move towards energy independence and away from the national grid, but it’s also important in our collective effort to be more sustainable.
The success of solar depends on getting the right setup. Solar panels can be effective in Bedfordshire across the year, even on grey days, as long as their orientation and elevation are set to maximise the amount of sun the panels can absorb. In fact, in Bedfordshire, you’ll see an average output in March that is only 32 kWh below July.
At Otovo, we connect you with local suppliers to provide a tailored solar panel setup, to ensure you get the most out of your home's natural resources. Interested in knowing how much energy your property can generate? Enter your postcode below.
The benefits of investing in solar
- Reduce your energy bills. We all rely on electricity in our everyday lives, whether that’s for cooking, working from home or putting the TV on. Solar panels allow you to take control of your energy bills, and reduce your reliance on the fluctuating prices of the national grid.
- Greener energy. With awareness of climate change increasing, we all need to do our bit to cut our carbon footprint. Solar panels offer a green, renewable energy source that doesn’t use fossil fuels that are harmful to the environment.
- Low maintenance costs. Modern solar panels can last for over 30 years, with simple cleaning and care. There are no moving parts – you’ll just need to get the inverter checked.
How much does it cost for solar panels to be installed?
The cost of solar panel installation depends on the number of panels you’d like, the desired output and whether or not you’d like to include a battery, to allow you to store solar energy for use at another time. Here, we’ve put together some average costs of solar panels in Bedfordshire to give you an idea of how much it might cost
|Number of standard panels||5||10||15|
|Kilowatts peak (kWp)||2.0||3.9||5.8|
|Annual kWh production||2000 kWh||4000 kWh||5900 kWh|
|Price without battery||£4,131||£5,544||£7,013|
|Price with battery||-||£9,471||£10, 615|
Not only do solar panels allow you to generate electricity for your own use, but you can also sell the excess energy that you generate back to the grid, earning you extra income. Overall, you can expect to save around £796 per year with a 4.3 kWp solar panel system in Bedfordshire (without a battery), which increases to £1,174 if you add a battery to your setup. With 4.3 kWp panels and no battery, you can expect to see a return on your investment between the seven and eight year mark.
Take control of your bills
Solar panel installation in Bedfordshire
Otovo connects you with specialists in your area to make sure that you receive a bespoke installation quote that is tailored to your property and geographic area. We have experience with over 10,000 installations across Europe, so you can be sure that you’re in good hands.
Our installation package has been designed to make the process as stress-free as possible for you, so the cost includes:
- Installation by accredited, trusted solar panel experts.
- A 5-year warranty, offering you peace of mind for a longer period than the industry standard.
- Access to Otovo’s app, which allows you to track your solar production and see how it is benefiting your home.
Request a quote
- Leighton Buzzard
- And more.
Solar panel FAQs
How do solar panels work?
Solar panels are made up of a collection of photovoltaic cells, which absorb the photons (particles of energy) from sunlight. The panels then convert this energy into direct current (DC) electricity. Since most homes use alternating current (AC) electricity, solar panels also come with a solar inverter, which changes the DC electricity generated into AC for you to use.
Do I need planning permission for solar panels?
In most places in the UK, solar panels are viewed as a ‘permitted development’, and as such, you don’t need to apply for planning permission. However, if you live in a conservation area, or in a listed building, you may need to apply for permission, so it’s worth speaking with your local council first.
How long does it take to install solar panels?
Solar panel installation usually only takes one to two days. Firstly, your chosen installer will attach the panels to your roof, and then the electrician will come and connect everything together and put the system into operation.